Network problems should be reported to the Information Center (formerly the NOC) or by filing a ticket with 4help. Users in a department should first report problems to their NL if possible.
When reporting a problem, the following information will be required:
- Problem description
- Contact information (building, room, phone, e-mail)
- Problem location (building, room, portal number)
- Network information (addresses, host names)
- Description of problem
The following questions will help determine the source of the problem:
- Has it ever worked? When did it quit working?
- Do other people nearby have the same problem?
- Have there been recent changes to the host (upgrades, etc.)?
- Do other machines work when connected to the portal?
- Is the problem with one protocol or all?
- Can the host ping it's default gateway by IP address?
- Can the host ping things off of your subnet by number? by name?
Phil Benchoff, Eric C. Landgraf 2019-05-07